Definition of spikes
1. Larvae for use as live bait, which are often dyed various colors to increase effectiveness. Widely used by ice anglers and those targeting panfish.
2. Metal screws or cleats added to soles of boots or waders to increase traction when wading or walking on slippery surfaces such as ice, shale, or moss-covered rocks.
Variations of the term spikes
• 1. Grubs, maggots
• 2. cleats, ice cleats, studs
How to use spikes in a sentence
1. I use red spikes for bluegill when ice fishing.
2. I added spikes to my felt soles for better traction.